Monday, February 10, 2014

Why I Went to Church (Leaving Atlanta pt.1)

When I moved to Atlanta I had to finally act on something that I had been putting off for a while.  I wanted to get back in to going to church regularly.  I had no personal friends or any frames of reference at the time of where to go.  So, naturally I went to Google.  The largest one that appeared to have people my age (20's, single) was North Atlanta Church of Christ.

In retrospect I don't know what my goals were.  For several weeks I went and sat in the balcony, enjoying the atmosphere.  I'd show up a little late so I could avoid talking to people, but then I found out that it became difficult to find a seat without climbing over people, so I started coming a little earlier.  (Apparently most people at NACC show up about 5 minutes after the start time; 5 minutes before it's half empty, 5 minutes after it's completely full.)  I felt pretty self-satisfied about the experience overall.  I had a routine where I could slide in and out with minimal interactions.  Afterwards I'd treat myself to a solo Sunday lunch and go home in good spirits.
 
That could only last for a matter of time though.  After a couple of months I started feeling comfortable and began to wonder about the other people there, especially my age.  I wasn't outgoing.  I was not a "church person."  I had little interest in walking up to a group of people and announcing that I was the new kid in town, like some people can do.  I had fooled my employer into thinking I was that kind of "Type A" personality so I could get a sales job in the big city, but I wasn't ready to put myself out there socially. 

I needed a push.  A sunday service passed and I decided on the spot I wasn't going to go out on a limb and look for people.  Apparently someone noticed.  I was sitting in my ultra-secure, secret balcony spot.  I'd been attending for about 2 months.  A single lady in her 50's sat next to me and took it upon herself to speak to me.  She told me that there was a large singles group at the church, pointed out where they sat, and gave me the room number of the class they met in after the service.  

Now I really didn't have an excuse.  But, if I didn't have that little push I probably would have continued to made excuses that would have delayed or stopped me from continuing down my path.  So, I'm thankful for her, whoever she was.  Ha. An angel? 

So, the next Sunday, I took the leap and waltzed into this singles class at the church.  It was awkward, but only because I didn't know anyone.  Before the class starts everyone kind of mills around, gets coffee, and has conversations.  A dude noticed I was just kind of standing around and spoke to me.  I told him I was new and he was nice enough to talk to me for a while.  I made a contact.  The next few weeks I would show back up, slowly getting to know others.  Eventually, I was invited to a small group that met Sunday nights and really became more than just a "visitor."  

As I began to get to know the people that were a part of this Young Adults group (as it is called) I started to realize I held some heavy pre-conceived notions and prejudices.  I had convinced myself that I would never really fit in at a church.  I assumed that the people who went were some other kind of breed of people who were different.  As in, maybe they somehow experienced some kind of sheltered, not-practical, not-normal life.  Like "they" were going to be too bland, boring, or simple, or some other adjective that I thought was not going mesh well with me.  As if I was so much more cultured, suave, exciting.  

It's funny that the popular saying is that people who go to church "think they are better than everyone else."  In my case it was the exact opposite.  I'm pretty sure I thought "I am better than them."

So wrong.  Once I began to get over that though, I finally started seeing things change.  
read part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment