Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Proactivity Pt. 2

Part 2.

I think the tone of this blog has been a skeptic's approach to Christianity, so in line with that today I am asking, what are some things we can proactively do to encourage building faith internally?

My last idea was Testing.  This time I want to discuss Asking.

Asking is much less controversial.   Ask and you shall receive, right?

For one, John 16:27, "...Truly I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.  Until now you've asked nothing in my name.  Ask and you shall receive, that your joy may be full."

Ask for little things.  Ask for huge things.  Ask for anything.  Just try!  For so long I rarely or never tried and I have a feeling many of us are like that.  Is it self-sufficiency? pride? ...or simply ignorance?  Even today I struggle to remember Asking.  I sometimes forget that we have this vital luxury.

I wonder if the other world religions allow such a concept.

The fan-favorite blunt theologian James said, "You don't have, because you don't ask." (James 4:2)

But one of the most monumental episodes of Asking in the biblical record is Solomon's story.  It rings close to home for me because it ties in so many, very important things: philosophy, theology, judgement, knowledge, discernment, and above all, how to apply these truths in everyday life!  Ah, to be the owner of such vast and important information.   It's called Wisdom.

Let's briefly revisit the old King Solomon, king of Israel & Judah.  After surviving his older brothers' unjust attempts to claim the throne, he ascends and is probably overwhelmed by responsibility.  Displaying some uncommon insight (compared to other OT figures), he asks God to give him an understanding, discerning mind for governing God's people.  (1 Kings ch. 3)

Not for wealth, success in war, crops, or decendants.  He asked for a sharp mind.  God ends up being pleased with this powerful request and not only gives him wisdom, but also everything he didn't ask for.  He got the prestige, the gold, and the power.  And for one of the first times in the historical record God's tribe, "ate, drank, and were happy... [Solomon] had peace on all sides around him... and Judah and Israel lived in safety"  (1 Kings 20, 24-25.)

Solomon's request resonated within me.  Before I started studying anything at all, especially the Bible itself, I had a yearning to learn.   When I relearned Solomon's story for the first time as an adult, I thought it was really interesting.  So, I began Asking.  And Wisdom was amongst the top of the list.

So, again, be proactive in your faith... if you're doubting, skeptical, atheistic... but perhaps have the will to try... then try Asking.  And continue to do so.  I wish I could "try" to play the violin, and pick it up on the first time and play like Andrew Bird.  But it takes perserverance... and most certainly the right attitude.

Going back to James 4:2-3, "You don't have, because you don't ask.  You ask and you don't receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions."

Just as in Testing, Asking requires you to have the right motives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment