Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tsurezuregusa

No... it's not what happens when you throw your hands at your key board.

That is, "slduihsl;zdrnk".

Tsurezuregusa is a Japanese term meaning "as the brush moves."  When I was in college I took like 1 liberal arts / english class and the rest were boring business classes. In this one liberal arts class I had a liberal teacher from Kansas, and on the required book list was this book called Essays in Idleness, the Tsurezuregusa of Kenko.  He was a Buddhist monk who lived in the 1300's in feudal Japan, and he was pretty cool.

Through translation, his thoughts are written down in short paragraphs and the topics range from weather, customs, honor, manners, and off the wall thoughts.  Kenko was an ancient blogger.  There's so many of his thoughts that are applicable today.  If you like to read and you appreciate ancient literature or old books describing the way a normal person thought back in the old days, you should check it out.

For the record I don't read much ancient literature besides the Bible, but eventually someday I'd like to get into Origen and some of those other dudes.

Anyways I feel my blog and Kenko's Tsurezuregusa are very similar... just thinking out loud.  So I stuck it in the header.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsurezuregusa

No comments:

Post a Comment